Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sickie Sweet Spot

I hate to admit it but I kinda enjoy it when my kids are under the weather. I feel badly for them, it's no fun to be ill, but it's so quiet. There is no fighting over toys, no running around the house playing tag. I can put on movies with no guilt. They want me to cuddle with them. I get a big pot of homemade soup going and while they are snuggled up in their blankets I read my book. It's such a nice change of pace from the crazy activity that is our usual lifestyle. I call this the sickie sweet spot.

God forbid they get the flu. If the kids have to flu you're lysoling everything, washing a mountain of puked on laundry and worrying about swine flu or whatever the newest strain of freaky flu that kills kids in twenty four hours is. This is the up all night, calling the dr at two am and counting the ounces of fluid they are consuming, not relaxing at all illness.

The cough sickness is also terrible. They usually don't feel too bad, and probably have a cold, but otherwise are basically ok. Except the they keep themselves up all night coughing. And since they are exhausted from being up all night, they are seriously grumpy. And sure they are well enough to play, but sound so horrible you hate to bring them anywhere. Cause you totally get the look from other Mom's. You know the one. The dagger eyes that say "Are you effing kidding me? That kid should not be out in public, what is wrong with you?"

But when they are just a little under the weather, it's kinda great. Nothing to major to worry about. No mountains of laundry. No up all night with worry. The kids only need to chill out and rest up. I try to enjoy it while it lasts, because it never lasts more that thirty six hours and by tomorrow we'll be back to the crazy busy life we lead. But today we're in the sickie sweet spot and it's gonna be quiet and cozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment