Thursday, November 18, 2010

Meltdown City

Today I took a trip to Meltdown city. Population Little Britches and Mini Boots. Oh...and the entire school... plus every child's parents. Yup I was that Mom today. The one whose kids are loosing it in front of everyone. It was horrible. As you know the kids have been a little under the weather. Since they had been home for three days, I made the executive decision to send them to school. After all it was the Thanksgiving program, and I didn't want them to miss it over a cold.

During the program they did really well. Mini Boots got a case of stage fright and refused to sing but did all the hand motions. Little Britches lit up when she saw me and sang louder than any other child. Their costumes we darling and they couldn't have been more adorable. But as soon as I picked them up from their classrooms, the melting began. The worst of it came just as we were in line for the luncheon. Mini Boots was crying for a cookie, and Little Britches began playing following the leader with the naughty kid whose parents don't care. So when I told her to stand still she burst into tears and chimed in on Mini Boot's need for an cookie right now. I'm in line, both are crying, and then the baby starts wailing. Perfect. Of course, I am like we are outta here. No lunch, no cookie, lets just go.

Just as I was scooping them up and running for the door, someone took pity on me and my poor parenting skills. Thank God for compassionate teachers. One came up and offered a helping hand, got the kids cooled down and let me tend to the baby. And Thank God for cousins. Because she got the kids food, drinks and the coveted cookie. Even though it was all a disaster, I am accepting that I need some help, and learning to take it when it's offered. And that's ok. Especially when you live in Meltdown City.

No comments:

Post a Comment