Saturday, July 3, 2010

Weeding Sucks and Other Life Lessons

So I know everyone is sick of hearing about me surviving another deployment but... too bad! Because I have really learned a lot this time around, and conquering all these new challenges has made me feel pretty awesome. I had a ton of visitors this time and each one has helped me discover something new about myself and my abilities. If my husband had been home to just take care of the man chores, I never would have forced myself out of my comfort zone and tackled what once seemed insurmountable (maintaing the yard). Of course some of these jobs I will happily hand over as soon as he walks in the door, but knowing I can do it feels pretty good. Here's what I learned....

*You need gas AND oil to run a lawn mower.
*How to make curtains, my self threading sewing machine gathered dust for way too long.
*Pool maintenance is all about consistency.
*Get all the kids seen at the doctors when you go, because you wont want to do it again for a looonnnggg time.
*Power tools are fun.
*Weeding is not.
*Outdoor umbrellas should be taken down BEFORE a thunder storm.
*It is possible to take three kids under five to the grocery store and actually get groceries...as long as you bring cookies.
*Wine has actually saved a life... three little lives to be specific.

It might not seem like an impressive list to anyone but me, but I know when he comes home I have grown. Of course I've killed a few of his flowers and they may be a few brown patches in the grass, but I've juggled more this time than I ever have and I am no longer afraid I can't do it. Instead I am convinced that even if it seems hard I'll get it done. On no sleep. Anyone have a Super Mom cape I can borrow?

1 comment:

  1. Liz...I gotta say it (and I know you probably get this a lot) but that is awesome. You are a SUPERMOM, and I think with your sewing skills and sewing machine...you should definitely make yourself a cape! Cuz I don't have one, and I don't think I ever will. I know you do it because you don't have a choice, but I still think it's pretty amazing. Cheers to you, and your bottle of wine (or two)...wish we were closer and could share these moments together!

    ReplyDelete