Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hot Mom's Can Suck It

I am all about putting your best foot forward. I love a good mani-pedi as much as the next girl and have been known to spend a fortune on my hair. And I do this for me. I do it to relax, to have some girl time, and to remind myself that just because I never pee alone, I am still a woman and not just a Mom. But recently I have been noticing the dwindling number of sweat pants represented in the pre-school pick up line. There are fewer ponytails and more highlights. Hmmmm. What's going on? It seems there has been a shift of expectations for Moms, and I can't help but wonder what the heck happened?

It's the Hot Mom Phenomenon. And I hate it. Over the last several years pop culture has decided that being a Mom just isn't enough. Nope. Now you have to look good doing it. Yes, even after all night with a colicky baby. Yes, after a marathon flu bout in the house. And Yes, even after giving birth. My Mom wore hirachi's and knit shorts she sewed herself (yup) pulled up to her boobs, and nobody looked at her twice! Gramma could go to the grocery store with curlers, a house coat and slippers. I want a break too! I want to wipe spit up off my shoulder, grab a headband and still have the cashier smile at me. But living with Hot Mom Phenomenon seeping into cultural expectations means the cashier lady is going to tell herself no matter what she'll be a MILF and avert my eye contact.

Ugh. These days I seem to be the minority. I still look good when I want to, and no one can do a five minute face as well as I, but I want to be recognized for the the important stuff I do FIRST. And if I can also manage to look good a few days a week, well, that should be a bonus. Can we just give each other a break and agree that yoga pants are almost as good as regular pants? Because even if you are a "Hot Mom" you're not fooling me. I know what you have to give up (sleep) to blow dry in the morning. So when you see au-natural-with-a-side-of-spit-up-Mom, please remember you don't have to be hot to rock this job. Oh and Hot Mom's.... you can suck it.

5 comments:

  1. i completely agree! Hot moms are a joke. a little too vain and possibly even slightly trying to cover up their insecurities as they slather on their make up at 6:30 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a giant fan of the mom that walks to school to pick up her kid in "pumps", yes I said it.... pumps..... and then stands arms crossed, moving from foot to foot, knowing full well those shoes WERE NOT made for walking. I say go yoga pants and pony tails.

    P.S. Same mom let her kid wear shorts without a jacket. Come on lady it's April in Washington......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh, sorry, this post sounds like you aren't comfortable with yourself. Who cares if some women still want to look pretty after being a mom? What is that to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz- You obviously didn't read the entire post, or missed the point. The point is being a good mom is MORE important that looking like a good mom and accepting that on our worst day we are still amazing and should be proud. I still look good Girl!

    ReplyDelete