Friday, March 19, 2010

A Rose by Any Other Name... is Still CRAZY

Nesting is like preparation on crack. I am nesting. It's biological for women to create and cozy environment to bring their newborn baby home to. It happens throughout the pregnancy, and always seems to peak for me about a month before I'm due. However, I am not just setting up a crib and picking up diapers when I am out. Oh no, my nesting extends to every corner of the house! I am talking about dusting on top of doorways, organizing linen closets, and painting any untouched surface in this house, CRAZY!

You can imagine the level of nuttiness that ensued when my Dr realized the Braxton hicks I thought I was feeling were actually contractions! Words like "pre term" and "labor" will send any women into a tailspin. Not only are you worried about your baby, but OMG how will I ever be ready???? There is no way this house can EVER be clean enough! Why did I procrastinate on sorting through my medicine cabinet/junk drawers/garage?

My husband tells me I can be anal, I prefer organized and precise and prepared... nesting just kicks it into overdrive. So I have decided to use my pregnancy induced OCD for good instead of evil and come up with a list. For all you Mom's who don't know where to begin, here is my third-time-around list of essential items to have, and things to get done.

Must Have:

1. Boobs (or bottles, formula and nipples).
2. Diapers (2 packages newborn size).
3. Wipes (unscented).
4. Kimono style tee shirts (NOT ONSIES. The onsies can pull on their umbilical cord and cause irritation. After the cord falls off up to two weeks later, onsies are essential).
5. Preemie size pants (trust me 0-3 will be too big for at least a couple of weeks).
6. Soft cotton blankets for swaddling.
7. A place for baby to sleep, with SID's pillows (bassinet, cradle, crib, co-sleeper.... any will do for a while).
8. Swing (some will tell you this is not essential, I have not been able to survive a newborn without one. Babies are comforted by motion, the swing provides a break for your arms. You may not want to put baby down but you will need to pee, and maybe shower).
9. Pacifier (baby's need to suck. It is instinctual and eventually your finger will need to come out of their mouth... when you need to pee and maybe shower).
10. Infant, rear-facing, five-point-harness car seat. You will not be allowed to take the baby home without one.


To Do:

1. Shop for/borrow a few essentials, see list above.
2. Assemble sleeping area, and swing.
3. Find a place to hold diapering essentials (I usually have two stations, one in the living room where we spend our time, and one near sleeping area for the night-time changes).
4. Install car seat base (if you are unsure of correct procedure, any fire station will inspect your handi-work).
5. Call a friend to watch your pets, water your plants, collect your mail etc. (Call another friend in case said first friend brakes a leg or has some other lame excuse sure to send you into a panic right when your water breaks).
6. Clean your house, or at least the bathroom and kitchen. (Try to keep it clean so you dont have to yell at your husband to do it while you are timing contractions. You will be glad you did when you arrive home from the hospital).
7. Pack a bag. Include baby's take home outfit and a blanket. (The hospital will provide tee's, hats and blankets for you to use while you're there).
8. Get batteries for your camera, and/or camcorder... and place in said bag.
9. Keep at least a quarter tank of gas in your car.
10. Sleep as much as you can. Your body is going to experience an incredible physical exertion, trust me, you need your rest.

I am sure you will all have you're own bit of CRAZY to work through, remember you are not alone. Crazy pregnant ladies make prepared Mothers! So if you'll excuse me I have some more.... PREPARING to do!

***Just to be clear, I am not IN labor, nor do I expect to be anytime soon. However we are meeting with the Dr regularly to ensure these contractions don't start working this baby out before it's ready.***

1 comment: