Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Big Belly Bothers

I do not have a baby bump, I have a Budda belly. I do not look like I simply shoved a basket ball under my shirt. I show about five minutes after I test positive and by eight months people assume I'm due "any day now" or expecting "double the fun." I do not gain all of my weight in my boobs, instead I seem to carry it in my upper arms, my thighs and of course my cheeks (both sets). I am just a big pregnant person, not one of those itty bitty preggo ladies everyone seems to think I should be (thanks In Touch Weekly).

I am almost term with my third baby, and I seem to be just about the same size as I was with the older two. With my first, I was pretty sick, and gained a lot of weight. With my second we were happily settled in Hawaii and my good friend would walk the hill overlooking the beach with me 5 days a week. I was in great shape, but still ended up at almost the same weight. This time, I try to get exercise, but with my first winter in 4 years it was too cold to walk regularly so I am not really a fit pregnant lady this time. And yet again, I am on course to deliver within my 5 lb range. For some reason this is exactly where my body wants to be. I know being pregnant is NOT being fat, but after I have this baby it's going to take a lot of work to loose the weight and that is totally depressing!

I did the math and between pregnancy and breastfeeding, my body has been sustaining another's life for 43 months out of the last 5 years.... no wonder I don't look like I did before kids! So this time I am gonna try to let myself off the hook for a while. I am going to love what my body has done and not hate the way it looks. I will treat the stretch marks like battle scars. I will embrace the pudgy belly and the wavy hair as physical markings of my three greatest accomplishments. Besides, someday when my kids are older they'll stumble across old pictures of me and say "Holy Crap Mom, you were hot! What happened?" I'll look em dead in the eye and say "You did." Totally worth the trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment