Friday, July 17, 2009

Be Prepared

We had a Dr's appointment at 9 am on Thursday, and all three of us had to be dressed, fed and buckled in by 8:15. Yikes! Not an easy feat for any family, but especially mine who linger over cereal and resist my every attempt to speed it along. After a few years of rushing I have learned a few tricks.

When the kids were babies, I kept my diaper bag packed. When I got home I made sure to restock diapers, wipes and snacks so I always knew it was ready when I was. Now that the kids are a little older I have a cloth cosmetics bag I throw in my purse with two diapers, and wipes. It's enough to get me in and out of the grocery store, or run other short errands and I don't have to lug around a big bag for short trips.

I also keep an "emergency bag" in the car. Not only do I have first aid, I also keep a couple juice boxes, spare clothes, ziplock bags and a few interesting quiet toys. Lately I have loved the travel size Magna Doodle and Travel Color Wonder books by Crayola. They can't make a mess and buy you at least 5 minutes each, just enough time to discuss potential allergies or potty training with their pediatrician. If you only pull it out on a few occasions they won't get bored just remember to tuck it away again post visit.

Ohio Art Pocket Magna Doodle OHA67000Crayola Color Wonder Travel Tote (colors & styles may vary)

Longer trips like a day at the zoo require a little more planning, but can also be easy if you prepare properly. I use a collapsible cooler with individual size snacks like applesauce, Lunchables and string cheese. Regular old disposable spoons are a godsend and you can freeze water bottles and juice boxes the night before. When you are ready to drink them they'll have thawed but still be cool. As the day goes by and you get tired, your load will get lighter and easier to manage.

Custom LeatherCraft 1540 15-Inch BigMouth Cooler Bag

When I am prepared I can relax and really concentrate on the doctor, or enjoy my day with the kids. On Thursday we made it to the dr's office on time, I was ready and my kids didn't feel rushed... gotta love that! Happy trips Moms!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, no one talks of this 4year old age for girls, I call it the preview to life with them at 14. They want to do it on their own but you must be near by, but far enough away that you aren't part of it. Be ready to be support them every minute of everyday because for some reason at the age of 4 something big is happening for them...there have to be some books out there about it, I just remember it and talking with the other moms about it. I promise that 5 is amazing:)

    ReplyDelete